Emerald Gaming Forums

Articles, News, Reviews and more. All at the EG Forums!

HomeNewsCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Inside the Mind of Robotnikator: Sonic Generations (Spoilers)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bot
King of Writers, Robots, and Continental Cheese

Location : Continental Cheese Fortress of Unimaginably Unfathomable Doom

PostSubject: Inside the Mind of Robotnikator: Sonic Generations (Spoilers)   Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:34 am

So, as any good Sonic fan should know, Sonic Generations comes out in America in exactly one month today. Now, as some others may know, I live in the UK, so I have to wait another three days for the game. Regardless, though, I think I'll do a little bit of celebrating by posting some of my thoughts on Sonic Generations. So, get ready to delve deep into my mind - don't be scared...

We've recently seen the Dreamcast Era trailer for Sonic Generations, which shows off more of City Escape and Seaside Hill, however, we also got to see for the very first time (Unless you count walking past the Speed Highway hub in that 28 minute long spoiler video), Speed Highway, "re imagined in glorious HD, as I'm sure one site in particular have put it. And, yes, they're very correct in putting it like that; for I must say, it looks impressive.

Looks good, eh?

Speed Highway also sounds spectacular, listening to the remixes heard in the trailer. As usual for the Dreamcast and Modern stages, because they were played by Modern Sonic originally, he gets a much lighter, more nostalgic remix, whereas Classic gets a much more "remixed" remix.

Anyway, now that I've gotten the appetiser which is Speed Highway out of the way, let's just have a little ramble about the game itself, shall we?

The gameplay of Sonic Generations is looking better and better. We've seen nearly every stage now, and I from the couple-second-long clips we've seen, it seems to me that they've gotten the Classic gameplay, realistically, as Classic as it is going to get. I still hear complaints from some of the most hardcore of Classic fans, but personally, I think the vast majority of Sonic fans - old or new - are pleased with this game.

Meanwhile the modern half of the gameplay seems to use a lot more 3D "platforming", while still retaining the adrenaline-pumping boosting featured in Sonic Unleashed's day stages. However, unlike the daytime stages of Unleashed and Colours, for once it seems that they've gotten it just right - good controls, not too slow or fast, good amounts of boosting as well as 3D platforming, and the 2D sections are there but are much less blocky than Colours - something which, if I'm honest, made me get bored of the game after only a few runs through it.

A bit blurry, but it shows off the platforming bits of Sky Sanctuary (In this instance) quite well.

And now, the hubs. "So, how exactly do they work?" is the question I've been asking myself ever since we found out about them. Well, I'll tell you, because I think I got the idea pretty well after watching them being played about in in that video.

It seems that the hubs are really just one long, interconnected 2D platforming level. You can walk on the text which floats above each hub, and to get to another, you simply run on the white space left and right between them. Simple, eh? Plus, the missions we heard about appear to be accessed above the hub pieces - as in, there is a vertical "tower" of platforming above each hub, which is where you get the missions and the rival fights, by the look of it.

To the left of the connected hubworlds is a shop, where you can purchase items such as art, music, videos, and the like tl view. Interestingly, it seems that (Again, after looking at the video) you can actually play the music in the levels, i.e., Emerald Hill Zone was available to purchase from a track listing, suggesting that you will be able to replace Green Hill with it. I'm going to go ahead and make the blind assumption - simply out of hope - that these too will be remixed.

Ah, Rooftop Run. Of course, it's called Orange Roofs there because that's it's Japanese name, from the Japanese site. /uselesstrivia

I don't really need to comment on the graphics. You can see from these three images that they're awesome as EVAR. Regardless, though, they are spectacular, just to confirm my opinions.

Here's to Sonic Generations!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Knuckles
Forum Hero

PostSubject: Re: Inside the Mind of Robotnikator: Sonic Generations (Spoilers)   Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:16 am

Meh. It was alright.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Inside the Mind of Robotnikator: Sonic Generations (Spoilers)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1