Emerald Gaming Forums

Articles, News, Reviews and more. All at the EG Forums!

HomeNewsCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Hypah's Game Corner: inFAMOUS 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hypah
Banned

PostSubject: Hypah's Game Corner: inFAMOUS 2   Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:53 pm

May 26th, 2009
inFAMOUS was released two weeks before PROTOTYPE; both games had similar premise, character development and superhero genre, they have been often compared by critics, to the point where Yahtzee Croshaw of the Escapist challenged both companies to a duel: Draw the rival character in girl clothes, overall, I thought inFAMOUS was better, the character had more story development, the game was more fluid, cutscenes were detailed and had more to explore, while PROTOTYPE was more about destruction and the character…Was weak, not to mention an a**.
July 2010, a sequel of inFAMOUS was announced and man, it looked like it was going to suck balls, character looked nothing like cool, story didn’t look nice and Cole with a weapon didn’t sound good.
The game was released in June, 2011; but does this game catch up to the original game?

Ugh, he looks like those actors you usually see in bad soap operas

The answer is yes, inFAMOUS 2’s gameplay is very nice, fluid and detailed; unlike the 1st game it has more customization in your powers, and Cole (the main protagonist) has also some new powers instead of just Electrokinesis, he also has Pyrokinesis and Cryokenisis, which can be acquired in a important part in the game, another new addition to inFAMOUS 2 is the Amp, a powerful weapon developed by Zeke Dunbar, Cole’s best bud; the Amp replaces the hand to hand combat from the first game and simplifies the melee combat, which I felt was a great addition, but at the same time I thought it lacks, as the hand to hand combat in the first game was more diversified and you could do more kinds of techniques.
Not to mention that shooting rays can deplete your energy, unlike the first game, which can become a problem when you’re facing enemies as you need to find electricity or kill your enemy fast, so that you can bio-leach him, this is a main problem when you are in a low powered place and the game treats like a d*** in Transformer levels in which you need to power up the places, as it becomes frustrating with the huge amount of enemies and difficult controls when you need to fire a Tesla missile to another transformer via the analog stick, look at the bright side, it isn’t the Sixaxis motion sensor that we are using, that would have been a nightmare.

Huh, that explains Hurricane Katrina

But a good addition to gameplay is the online mode, which was developed alongside Media Molecule, the creators of Little Big Planet, it’s quite entertaining to create your own levels, but it’s very lacking stuff, and even though this addition is nice, I think they could have added more into it and there isn’t online multiplayer in user-created levels like in Little Big Planet, which is a shame that could have been nice.

The Story is very cool, with Cole MacGrath try to stop the Beast (which was hinted in the first game), who destroyed Empire City and numerous of other cities from coming to New Marais, a New Orleans knock-off, with the help of Zeke, who was a traitor in the first game; Larouche, a man who has an army against the militia and the ice freaks, not to mention a total fat pervert; and You also have to women who helps you in the game and acts like a Shoulder angel and a Shoulder devil, they are: Kuo, a agent who became a conduit with Cryokinesis, which tries to maintain Cole in the good side; and Nix, a girl from the Swamps who has the ability to control fire and tar, and tries to maintain Cole to his Evil side, but the city has been in some problems because of militia and their leader, Bertrand, not to mention the main character, Cole MacGrath, who acts more serious than himself in the first game, but is more laidback than his first counterpart.

If they used this model for Cole in Festival of Blood, then he would become Edward from that s***** Twilight Series

Graphics aren’t the ones you expected in games such as Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy XIII, they do look good, but they don't look very real, but you can't judge a game by it's graphics, but the monsters look awesome, even though they feel like they were taken from a Ratchet and Clank game.

Even though the Behemoth has boobies, it's actually Bertrand (which is a male character)

Voice acting is nice, each of the characters’ voice fits perfectly, but there are a few exceptions, you see, Cole MacGrath sounds like the voice from the first game, but I thought his grave voice was too fake and he sounded way younger than the one from the original game, in fact, Cole’s voice from the first game was way grave that I thought that Kratos’ voice wasn’t grave enough and let’s just say that Nix sounds….Very Jamaican, in fact Nix is a feminine version of Bob Marley, only uglier and red skinned, Soundtrack is good and changes in each scene of the game and follows the atmosphere of the game from drama to action.

Overall, inFAMOUS 2 is one of the Best Games in the PS3 Library, surpassing the first game and I’m proud to say that inFAMOUS 2 is the best game I have for my PS3.
Pros:
-Good Story
-Improved Karma System
-Good Side-quests
-Top Notch voice acting
-Good Open World experience
-More additions and customization to your powers
Cons:
-Online lacks
-Controls can be confusing

Overall:
8.5/10