Emerald Gaming Forums

Articles, News, Reviews and more. All at the EG Forums!

HomeNewsCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cola
Insane Admin

PostSubject: Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)   Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:33 pm

The Nintendo Entertainment System (also known as NES) is a Nintendo manufactured video game console known as the Famicom (Family Computer) in Japan . It is considered the successor to Nintendo's Color TV Game series, and is Nintendo's first home console with interchangeable cartridges. It is an 8-bit console that introduced various franchises to the world from The Legend of Zelda to Final Fantasy. Nearly 62 million units were sold worldwide, making it the best selling Nintendo console of all time (excluding the Wii). The best selling game on the console is Super Mario Bros., though the total number of units sold includes those bundled with the console (which consists of a majority of the units). The best selling stand alone title on the system is Super Mario Bros. 3 at 18 million copies sold worldwide. The Nintendo Entertainment System has been sold to retailers in a majority of Asia, North America, Europe, and Australia.It was succeeded by the Super Nintendo Entertainment System.

As the best-selling gaming console of its time, the NES helped revitalize the US video game industry following the video game crash of 1983, and set the standard for subsequent consoles of its generation. With the NES, Nintendo introduced a now-standard business model of licensing third-party developers, authorizing them to produce and distribute software for Nintendo's platform.

In 2009, the Nintendo Entertainment System was named the single greatest video game console in history by IGN, out of a field of 25. 2010 marked the system's 25th anniversary, which was officially celebrated by Nintendo of America's magazine Nintendo Power in issue #260 (November 2010) with a special 26-page tribute section. Other video game publications also featured articles looking back at 25 years of the NES, and its impact in the video game console market.

Discuss the NES, Nintendo's first cartridge-based home video gaming console! Many older members may have fond memories of this console as a child. What was your first experience with the NES? What's your favorite thing about it? Discuss everything NES in this thread!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hypah
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)   Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:57 pm

Ah. the NES, I remember that my sister that was born in the US had it, and she brought in here, I was really excited it was my first game system, I remember that I played consecutive hours of Megaman, beat it the crap out of everyone in TMNT III: Manhattan Project( as well as Mighty Final Fight), being a ninja on Ninja Gaiden, platforming in Super Mario Bros. 3 and Ducktales, but last and definetely not least, playing my favourite game of all, Castlevania.

This, The SNES, N64 and Genesis/Megadrive brought me memories.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Furianu
"The two-tailed fox"

PostSubject: Re: Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)   Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:47 am

Besides SEGA Megadrive, this was my first console ever... I used to play Mario, Tetris and a soccer game together with best friend (who is still after 20 years my best friend) and we really enjoyed it :D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)   

Back to top Go down

Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1